Pages

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

the agony & the ecstasy


while reading this "biographical novel" on the life of Michelangelo
I've felt as though I can relate to his life [merely by the title]
There's been a bit of agony, and maybe a little ecstasy [no droga Sam!]

Agony
The shoddy internet I have, EVERYWHERE. Does Italia not want me to catch up on my music?
[I sit outside on the steps like a creep to use it at home]
The bus I ride to town full of the oldest people on the planet. They are beyond cranky.
[I often think diaper changes and naps are in order for the folks!]
The amount of mystery food I've eaten at dinner because when I ask what it is...I still don't understand what she tells me!
The numerous tomatoes I've put in my mouth, I LOVE food, but tomatoes are low on the totem..at least they were.
The mosquitos that gnaw my chocolate skin whilst using my internet i.e. right now
The fact that I've been using the bidet towel for my hands. Smart move.
The fact I feel like I don't have a mind of my own w/ all the rules/meetings/speakers etc.
The Pixies said it best 'Where is my Mind?' but seriously..I'm 23, not 15. A curfew?!
All the people/car traffic on the small roads in town...it's worse than NY.
My f.o.m.o [fear of missing out] w/ my dearest friends in my last year of college.
Not being close to famiglia....
the showers made for midgets. I'd like to not bend down to pick up my shampoo to hit my head on the wall, which in turn causes my daire aire to run into the handle. NO BUONO!
the lack of cheez-its and diet dr. pepper.

....BUT, basta [enough] w. the venting, onto the best

Ecstasy
The group we have here in Siena, we all bring something different, funny, comforting, & loving
My host family: they couldn't be any better. Laughs every night at dinner, and I love them.
Seeing LACEY and ASHLEY in Florence.
Gelato.
Running in the Tuscan hillside.
The views of the hillside from various places in the city.
Living in a place that thrives on culture.
Gelato.
Food.
The vanilla wafers [these can constitute as REAL ecstasy!]
The compassion and genuine love of the people at school.
Making international friends
Making friends who talk so much that enables me to have the international friends.
Coca-Cola Light.
Seeing some of the greatest pieces of art known to man.
Visiting the most scenic towns.
Gelato.
The amount of music listening I can cram into a week.
Immersing myself in culture.

Italy is honestly breathtaking, and the hospitality is amazing- so much so that tonight after dinner,
*Sidenote: I'm going to Cinque Terre tomorrow and won't see my family until Saturday*
So Niccolo gave me the double cheek kiss, which I was unprepared, then I said bye to our host dad, whom also went for the cheeks, but we didn't plan well and he almost got my boca!



Could've been awkward!

A dopo!






3 comments:

leigh said...

i love this. you crack me up and im SO glad you are having a good time! can you blame the mosquitoes to be tempted by your chocolate skin?? i hope i am considered in the friend category with your fomo. i still have fomo too if it makes you feel better. they dont got cheese its there?? ok this comment is already getting long. im emailing you right now.

Melinda said...

Loved this post!! You are lucky to be there no doubt! Thanks for sharing.

P&C Dickson said...

taylor! i had a dream the other night that you called me from italy to chat. i dont remember why or what we talked about but i thought it was funny. and THEN yesterday i flew to texas and i got on the plane and there were your parents! it was a sign! so anyways.. thinking of you. hope you're having an amazing time, it looks like you probably are. miss you!

Post a Comment